Posted August 30th, 2012 at 2:44 pm by Karen from Chookooloonks
My friend Jyl Pattee wrote a post today about gratitude being the key to a happy life and I couldnt agree more. Ive mentioned before that I think that gratitude is imperative to finding joy in your life, and for getting through the hard times. But to be honest, it can be difficult, even for me, to find something new to be grateful for every day. Can you imagine? Think of the pressure of having to create something new every single day of your life to be thankful for? Im tired just thinking about it.
Instead, I admit it: Im often thankful of the same things over, and over, and over again. This week, my daughter has returned to school, which means that our lives have returned to the normal routine that flows in our house pretty much every single day for 9 months. And I have to say, as boring as this sounds, Im very grateful for routine. Im grateful for the comfort and sense of stability it provides. My life might be mundane to most, but its my life, and my family, and weve worked hard to create the little rituals that bring us peace every day. For example, Im grateful for:
- my morning cup of tea (sweetened over-enthusiastically with honey)
- turning on my twinkle lights in my office weekday mornings signifying its time to get to work
- reading the classics to Alex when she gets home from school (this is actually assigned homework from her teacher!)
- journaling with Alex
- witnessing Alexs growing habit of reading in bed to herself before lights-out every night
- and Friday night movie night
You see, Im of the opinion that mundane habits like this this little rituals that we create for ourselves are what make for a happy life. And I hope that this helps my daughter have grateful memories of her childhood, despite how un-extraordinary all of these little events are.
How about you what is it about your everyday that youre grateful for?