Many products in the personal development field focus on what behaviors you need to acquire to accelerate your way towards success. This program, 12 Bad Habits That Hold Good People Back, takes the opposite approach and focuses in on the habits you need replace to take your foot off the brake in the fast lane to success.
The author, James Waldroop, has spent 20 years as a business psychologist at the Harvard Business School. As culmination of his research, James has found that the behaviors that will rocket you forward in one organization will lead to disaster in another but, certain behaviors will lead to failure anywhere.
Arguing that people can learn from their failures, James focus on personal weaknesses rather than successes, identifying a dozen behaviors and attitudes that can sabotage career growth in otherwise talented individuals.
In the first section of the program, James takes you through the 12 bad habits and provides real-life accounts of clients that he has worked with, along with concrete behavior modifications that you can use to turn your challenges into opportunities. The 12 habits are:
1. Never Feeling Good Enough
2. Seeing The World In Black And White
3. Doing Too Much, Pushing Too Hard
4. Avoiding Conflict At Any Cost
5. Heavy Handing Any Opposition
6. Rebel Looking for a Cause
7. Always Swinging for the Fence
8. Fear Is in the Driver’s Seat
9. Emotionally Tone-Deaf
10. No Job Is Good Enough
11. Lacking a Sense of Boundaries
12, Losing the Path
If any of the above behaviors spoke to you in some fashion, either as something you do or something expressed by someone close to you professionally, buy this program.
You will learn the psychology behind theses Achilles’ heel habits and look at real life case studies to illustrate common patterns and show the effect on organizations. You will gain insight into how to deal with your own weaknesses as well as identifying and handling others who exhibit them.
In Part Two of the program, James takes you through the four root causes of these behaviors and assists you in approaching them from a deeper perspective so that they will be annihilated at their core.
Some of the things you will learn include how to:
- Find a balance between your working endeavors and your personal life.
- Prevent yourself from overworking and ultimately burning out.
- Transform your self-sabotaging behaviors forever by getting to their root cause.
- Make yourself indispensable in the volatile and ever-changing job market.
- Assist your subordinates who may be struggling with career advancement.
- Gain stronger alliances with your suppliers, staff and clients.
- Remove your misconceptions about power so that you can step into your full potential.
This program has lots of suggestions and remedies, and the overall message is that failure can be understood if you develop insight about yourself. It’s a well done program that will work best for those who are troubleshooting their failures at work and who need some ideas about what might be going on.